Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Protein Packed!!

Last summer we explored the downtown farmers' market for a fun family outing.  This summer we have been at one of the area farmers' markets almost every Saturday morning on mission. The markets have become our main "grocery stores."  
As we explore new markets we discover foods we have never seen.  Last Saturday at the State Farmers' Market the girls saw these funny bean looking things.  The next thing I know a nice, grandmotherly lady was giving Mark and the girls a full run down on how to cook these beans just right. 
These beans are actually called crowder peas.
I did some research on these crowder peas to find they are packed with protein!! (Which is exactly what we need, especially for Haleigh.)  My first search reported 18 grams of protein in a one cup serving!!  As I continued my surfing I found a variety of ranges but came up with an average measure of around 14 grams per cup.  Now if Haleigh would just like it we may have a winner!
The step that took the longest time in the cooking process was shelling the peas.  I put Haleigh and Mackenzie on this job in hopes that having them join in the prep would encourage them to like these power packed marvels.
Once shelled and rinsed we simply placed them in a pot of salted water and cooked for about 20 minutes.  When the rest of dinner (Mexican Lime soup) was ready we drained them, added some salt and placed them on the table.  
They were a hit with everyone! WoooHooo!!
Simple, yummy, protein packed!!

1 comment: