Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Brownies - I found them!!!

I'm learning some tricks to this allergy life-style we are living.  When a special get together, such as a pool party complete with dinner and cake, is on the calendar I know I need to pull out something a little extra special to pack with Haleigh's food.  I had just the recipe in mind a few Sundays ago as I started preparing for such an evening.  
Before I knew it at least one hour zipped by as I frantically looked for this recipe.  A tried and true gluten free brownie recipe that I further tweaked to make dairy free and substituted out the refined sugars.  Somehow all of these substitutions ended up in a final product that gets rave reviews, even from my non-special dietary needs critics.  (I fed them to some unsuspecting kid friends yesterday and they had no idea they weren't your regular box brownies ;) or if they did they never mentioned it.)

I'll admit it, I didn't find this recipe in time for the pool party.  I tried another one and it was ok,  way more involved and the end result was pretty dry.  The stand in didn't meet up to the taste of this one so once we got home I began to search online, in my post drafts, in my email... I found the thing within 3 minutes.  Now I have printed it, saved it in my email, saved it in my documents and written it out in my new recipe binder.   Here it is with all its tweaks...

 
Things You'll Need

  • 1/2 cup butter (we use Earth Balance dairy free soy free non hydrogenated)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or any other non-hydrogenated choc. chip)
  • 1/2 cup macadamia nuts (optional) 
  •  
  • 1
    Preheat oven to 350 F. and lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
  • 2
    In a saucepan over a low heat, melt butter and add cocoa powder. Whisk.
  • 3
    Mix the sucanat, eggs and vanilla into the butter/cocoa mixture.
  • 4
    Add the cornstarch and salt and mix well.
  • 5
    Stir in chocolate chips
  • 6
    Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Your brownies are done when a toothpick stuck into the center of the pan comes out clean.
  • 7
    Allow the brownies ample time to cool and set before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment