I almost didn't post this because how "late" this victory has come. However, I realize this victory is so much more than finally learning to ride a bike. On the surface that is the victory, riding her bike, and a big victory that could stand alone.
For several years now we have tried to mark this milestone in a timely manner. We would go work on this feet as a family, just Sophie and me, just Mark and Sophie, then I happened to be the one to bite the bullet and attempt this again over this past weekend. And I am SO glad I got to be the one there to celebrate this victory with Sophie.
You see, there was a fear factor, not a lack of ability to figure out how to ride. Sheer fear of wrecking swept my girl away each time she thought of riding her bike. (And honestly, sheer fear swept me away too. Fear of another battle that would bring out the worst in both of us. I wasn't exactly compassionate when Sophie would freeze up not wanting to wreck ride. I considered just wrecking her from the beginning to let her know she would be alright and able to get back up once she did wreck.)
Mark had taken her out a few weeks ago and she was just on the brink but couldn't bust through. As we loaded up this past Saturday tears were already flowing from the anxiety of what was ahead of us. I almost pulled back into the garage to call the whole thing off. BUT, the Holy Spirit poured out an ample portion of calm and said, "pray." So we did, as we drove to get the job done we prayed. I realized we didn't pray so much for success of learning to ride, but success with our attitudes and trusting Him to be with us even in the routine milestone marking event. As we arrived at our training ground and unloaded I was not sure what to expect.
She pretty much just took off. I jumped up and down, whooping it up. I don't even think she fully realized she was really riding and enjoying it until she heard me celebrating. Then she cracked up at me completely letting loose for anyone within a several block range to hear. "Mom, I have never seen you like that!"
We sent video to Mark back home. He sent us to the Game Stop for Sophie to pick out a new game for her victory. Then after church the next day the much anticipated, long awaited, promised "when you can ride your bike you can get your ears pierced" reward I had spouted out one day several years ago after a failed attempt at this whole thing.
So, to wrap it up, one weekend, many victories. Victory of Sophie riding her bike. Sophie's victory over fear (of wrecking and then fear of actually getting her ears pierced.) My victory of a new perspective, a reality check that I need to celebrate my kids accomplishments like I did in that parking lot, free and leaving no question of my delight. We are coming to an age with this precious girl when she will question if anyone is really in her corner. I want her to only have that question run part way through her mind before she can picture me jumping up and down on many occasions celebrating her and her victories knowing I am undoubtedly in her corner. Victory of knowing God more, being reminded that He is in the small details that sometimes seem to swallow us up. He is in our corner along with sweetly placing others in our corner to cheer us on as well. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins from across the miles cheered knowing this was a big deal to us.
Before church Sophie was telling me how excited she was to tell her friends she learned to ride her bike. The insecure me got shaky and explained that "some people may look at you and wonder why you haven't learned till now." But that didn't shake my confident girl. As we entered the church God placed precious folks in her path that cheered for her accomplishment so well, with no regard to the delay in timing.
"Mom, you know my favorite part? When I got going and could feel the wind moving across my arms, that was really great! It was a great day Mom, thanks!"

{Sophie} can do all things {even learning to ride her bike} through Christ who gives {her} strength!
ReplyDeleteSo proud of you both!!
Wooohooo! Yeah Sophie!!!! Btw, Sophie's earings are the same kind my starters were! Love you all!
ReplyDelete