Wow, a week of such emotions. Last Sunday Mark spoke about his mission experiences, along with others, to let folks at our church know what mission opportunities were available. Some of what he said went something like this, "...it may not be what you have planned or expected, but when you feel the Holy Spirit calling you to go, you need to be willing." Shortly after those words came out of his mouth he was approached about the great need for doctors in Haiti. Next was a call to me on his way home, "I need to talk to you about something. Its not bad, Sarah-" I stopped him there and filled in the next part of the sentence, "wants you to go to Haiti, right?" "Yep, they are leaving Saturday." Well, my gut was screaming NO, but I felt a calming, "pray about it, breathe" wash over me. Not every moment of the next few hours was calm as we prayed, looked at the logistics, and even said the words out loud to our community group.
The upcoming week was his "service week" at work which is the rotation you don't switch out of especially last minute. We left it that if Mark was supposed to go there would be no roadblocks and the Lord would make the path smooth. Late Monday morning Mark called and said, "Well it looks like I am going. I talked to the group and they made it work with my schedule. If you can fill out the attachment on the email I'm sending, and take it to the church with the check for the trip that would be great." The plane ticket was purchased and we began to gear up for what would be one heck of a week.
We have found that every week before Mark leaves on a mission trip turns into a rough week. We even start those weeks reminding each other, its gonna get tough, have some extra grace, let the little things roll off. We know there is an unseen battle over what will happen for His Kingdom in the week to come and that we have the opportunity to take part in His story - well, that's worth a tough week. So it began, crazy schedules, sickness, roller coaster emotions, tracking down a list of necessities for the trip (that needed to take up no more than the space of a backpack) and finally bad weather that moved the departure time of the trip up by 4 hours and eliminated the chance for one good stretch of sleep before the marathon travel began.
Mark left here about 11:45 Friday night in sleet and iced roads to meet up with the group and bus to Atlanta where they would fly out about 9:00 the next morning. My feelings were swinging from one extreme to another. I was so proud of the servant God has and is shaping him into. I was nervous about not being able to communicate with him. I wondered if Mark was ready to take in all that he would see and experience as he went to share the gospel as he helped through his medical training. I wondered what the week would be like without him since we had decided to stay home and not head north to Grandma and Poppy's.
I was uneasy, to say the least as the clock ticked off the weekend. It was extra slow due to the "wintery mix" that cancelled any and all scheduled outings through Monday afternoon. Then FINALLY Tuesday evening a funny number appeared on my cell phone as it rang. What a welcome voice answered back! It was the fastest 2 minutes ever as Mark simply told me they were safe and fine, dinner had been sardines and bananas, it was worse than anyone could anticipate and much love to me and the girls. With that, the week turned. Just knowing, more from his voice than his words, that he was ok, really ok made the rest of the week so much easier. So, one week, much support and prayers from family and friends, one re-done play room, some handmade hair accessories, several back blogs posted, a new friendship with the wife of another doctor/brother in Christ that was on the trip, many sweet prayers for daddy from three sweet little girls and hours of waiting and he should be home within the next hour. I can't wait!!!
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." Eph. 2:10
It "just so happened" that my AM2PM (ladies group) was studying this scripture the week we were preparing Mark to go. It was like a warm blanket to me. Christ reminded me, "It is all ok, he is My workmanship and I have prepared this good work, this trip to Haiti for him to walk in. He is not going alone, I have gone ahead of him. I have prepared him in steps for this over the last several years and I have prepared you for him to go. You will not be alone either!"
No comments:
Post a Comment