My sweet Haleigh has been asking to take music lessons for a few years now. She had a thought set on playing the cello (until Sophie suggested we sit down and listen closely to some cello music.) After a close examination of cello music vs. piano music, Haleigh was again set on taking piano lessons. Once I got my act in gear (at least for a brief moment) I was in touch with a highly recommended Suzuki teacher. (Several learning techniques we use in schooling and memory work are based on the Suzuki method and Haleigh seems to click well with this method.) Haleigh's first lesson was scheduled, a "new to us" piano was purchased and moved in... then Haleigh had a string of sickness that resulted in a three week postponement of lessons. But finally, we have started lessons!! I do say we because it is a "we" kind of thing.
| (putting Haleigh's foot stool together... together) |
All three of the girls and I go to Haleigh's lesson. Sophie and Mackenzie sit still and quiet in the studio, listening quietly... did I mention quietly?! It is fun to see how much the girls are learning from the "sidelines." I listen and take notes on what we are to practice the following week, and I also take my turn on the bench, under the watchful eye of the teacher to make sure I have full understanding how to guide Haleigh through the exercises or song throughout the following week. (I now have a glimmer of perhaps redeeming all the lessons my mom and dad shelled out for me many years ago ;) Haleigh's teacher is very fun, but also very strict with high expectations. I wasn't sure at first how Haleigh would respond with her instructor's personality, but she LOVES her.
The first lesson was exciting and met the highly anticipated first Haleigh had been waiting for. Her biggest "practice assignment" for the week was learning to sit still, very still in "rest position." During her first lesson, Haleigh struggled to hold the expected position for 3 seconds. When we arrived in the studio just two lessons later Haleigh was elated to show her teacher the 100 second mark had been met!
Now four weeks into lessons, Haleigh daily listens to her CD of Suzuki music, practices her rest position, the dinosaur walk, c-do s, and her first "song" of Twinkle Variations. So far these piano lessons are a great thing for all of us. Yes, it is another thing to add to an already busy schedule, however Haleigh is gaining benefits with focus, calmness, perseverance, and following very detailed instructions. Sophie is learning what her sisters have put up with during the last 5 years of her violin lessons. Mackenzie is learning to be in the room with me, yet allow my focus to be elsewhere while she sits still and quiet. She is actually already asking when she can take music lessons.
Perhaps best of all, Haleigh and I now have a daily date on the piano bench, side by side, reaching toward achieving a beautiful dream, together!



No comments:
Post a Comment