Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sophie & Art Camp

Last week Sophie attended art camp. She wasn't completely sold on the idea of going, but thought it would be neat to try. Her biggest question as she prepared for camp was if she would be able to eat 58 double pop sickles in time. This threw me for a loop until she explained that she thought that is the number of pop sickle sticks she would need to build a bridge. The art camp focus this year was going to be on architecture.


When we arrived on campus the first things that caught the girls' attention were the beautiful fountains. So after camp we decided to brave the 100* weather and explore.


Everyday when I picked Sophie up she was very secretive about her project of the day. At the end of the week there was to be a "Family Day" when their art was displayed in the real art gallery. So Sophie did her best to keep all her projects a secret. (One night she almost told me all she had designed. She held it in until I left the room and then yelled into her pillow all the creative projects that had come from her handy work :)
Finally Family Day arrived and we all set out to see the grand display.
The Cool Collage Project
a castle
The Fabulous Floor Plan Project
(She was very excited that with a little help she fixed the door so it wouldn't "bump her if someone came in while she was playing Jingle Bells on the piano." Also, she made special note that she placed two computers in each room.)
The Hip Houses Project
(The top window has a balcony for parachuters. The window below that has flowers.) The Spectacular Skyscrapers Project
(This is a replica of the Eiffel Tower.)
We counted art camp a great success. Sophie really learned a lot about architecture and had a blast doing it.
(One day they studied some of the works of Frank Lloyd Wright. Sophie wanted to call her Uncle Darrin right away to see if they are relatives. "Mom they spell their last names exactly the say, they must be related!!" Perhaps a road trip will be in store next time we are up in WV to visit Fallingwater.)


2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love this!! I hope my girls get the opportunity to enjoy art camp sometime. Art was always my favorite thing and I can't wait to encourage it in my girls -- we do some stuff already but I'm looking forward to the day when we can just dive head first into paint, scissors, glue and glitter without worrying about all the mess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie,
    Your projects are really great!! I would love to live in your house. I love windows and a balcony for sure. I could use your floor plan in that very house. We could place the Eiffel Tower so we could look from the balcony to view it every day. Using the collage for a wall decoration in the family room... no I think it should go in the entrance to set the beauty of the house from the beginning for anyone visiting. Thank you for you.
    Love, Gma

    ReplyDelete