Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Thursday - Daddy and Haleigh Hit the Slopes

Thursday morning came and again, us gals took it slow. We headed to the resort's restaurant about 10:00 for breakfast. Convinced we could make a "nice breakfast" work with just us girls we sat patiently waiting for menus. When I asked for a menu I was kindly informed there were no menu options for breakfast only the buffet. OK deep breath, "please don't drop your plates girls," here we go... It was one of the most wonderful breakfast spreads I have ever seen!! The girls did great, no plates crashed to the floor, many new foods were tried, bellies were full and happy. Then the reality of the bill was walking toward us. (Once we saw this beautiful display of food, I began thinking this couldn't be cheap or even reasonable, but it was way too late to turn back at that point. I kept thinking there is no way Haleigh or Mackenzie will eat enough in a week to make it worth the price no matter what it is.) Our helpful waitress appeared, "You got quit a deal this morning. Your younger girls eat free since you are guests of the resort and you get one child's meal free with your purchase of an adult meal. Then you had your 20% off because of the promotion (we ate dinner there the first night and got a 'bring this back sealed and you could get a spa treatment, free night at the resort, 20% off your meal... I was really wanting the spa coupon, but this worked just fine!)" Finally, I saw the price per person $25 per person!!! If I hadn't had the "kids eat free" thing working that would have been $100 breakfast! Mind you Sophie and I did eat our share of the $25.00, but the other two... come on.


After breakfast quickly came time for the long awaited "kids yoga class." The girls had seen this event on the KidVenture calendar long before we arrived and it stuck in their memory banks as a definite to do.


Sophie loved it, but the pace was a little slow for Haleigh's style. (Mackenzie played across the hall in a playroom. She liked the pace over there just fine.)

Now it was time for Haleigh to bundle up and hit the slopes with Daddy. We weren't at all sure what to expect. When I picked her up from ski school, earlier in the week, they asked me several times if it was really her first ski experience. I assured them it was.This time only about one hour had gone by when my phone rang. Faintly I heard Mark, "Tell Mom we're coming down the lift if she wants to get a picture." Giggles are what I heard next as Haleigh was lovin' the ski lift, "We're on the lift Mom, this is awesome!"Apparently being overwhelmed by the mountain was not just an oldest sibling thing. Mark gave the instructions, "When we get off the lift go straight. DON'T turn down the hill." He was impressed with the ease of which Haleigh got off the lift and started out. Then to his dismay, she turned down the hill, tucked in as they did on all those Olympic events, and shot down the hill like a bullet. Mark said he figured she would have to fall to stop because his yells of "Pizza Pizza" to get her to "wedge her feet were falling on deaf ears, however he was very surprised with how far she went before she finally fell over. Learning from the previous day's experience they didn't try to push on. (I think Mark was concerned the same ski patrol guys may be on duty and recognize him :) They headed back to the chair lift and enjoyed the ride down together taking in all the beauty around them.

Haleigh's recap of it all went something like this, "I went really fast! Then I had to fall to stop, but don't worry, I had my helmet on!"

Mark made it to his lecture and then we headed back out to Vail Village for dinner.

We were all amazed at this fountain. Surrounding the central fountain was a huge flame, then the side spouts put on a show all of their own. We forgot how cold it was as we just stood there taking in the beautiful dancing fountain on fire.
Never fear, we knew where to go to warm back up...
Yep, the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory!!

Chocolate in hand, we were off to catch the shuttle back to our devouring spot.
YUM! The last night Mackenzie was only able to get a taste of her sisters' chocolate covered strawberries. Tonight she had one all her own, and she had no plans of sharing it!! It was another sweet day!!
As Haleigh was remembering it all she had to burn off some of the sugar from dessert. She came up with a new trick and she was pretty proud of it-- my sweet Haleigh I love how unique you are!!

1 comment:

  1. I love, LOVE the pic of Mark & Haleigh looking at eachother!

    ReplyDelete