Drama has pulsed through this beautiful girl since the day she was born.
This school year we decided it was the perfect time for Sophie to step off the only co-op path she has ever known (Classical Conversations) to give her drama an arena to pour into. We found just the place as Sophie attended Artios Outpost summer camp and then Artios Co-op. As the school year started our Mondays began to look a little differently than they have the past several years. Instead of all heading to the same spot for the day, we piled in the van and headed to drop Sophie off across town and then head back to our CC co-op. Every Monday evening when I picked Sophie up we would roll through each of her classes asking how it went and what she had learned. This was our routine until a few weeks ago when all routine went right out the window. This routine went right out the window because play week was at hand.
I was hesitant as this week approached not knowing what to fully expect. But honestly it was a pretty sweet week that taught us (I do mean us!) a lot. The hours were long, there were many last minute decision that changed timing and expectations, there was a tired young lady arriving late in the evenings exhausted and there were sisters hanging on for the ride. (One sister may have cried on Thursday when we again dropped Sophie off for another long day away simply because she missed her.) But there were also many sweet discoveries throughout the week.
I had been asked to make available a few meals during the end of the week for the cast and crew. To be honest I dreaded this position as it approached, but in the end it was such a blessing. This spot I had been asked to fill gave me an opportunity to get to know many of these kids I had known of only by name and stories Sophie had filled me in on. I can honestly say each person I served a meal to was so polite, appreciative and kind it made this position I dreaded a real joy.
Finally it was play time!
Let The Little Mermaid Jr. begin...
There are really not many words to describe the swirl of emotions I had as I watched Sophie and so many talented students (who I felt I now knew) put on an amazing production. There was so much more than the production that happened on the stage when the lights were shining brightly those two days.
There was the production of dealing with the emotion of disappointment when parts were given differently than one was wanting to accept. The production of the reality that a root of jealousy had taken hold and how you can deal with that in a way that reflects Christ, and how being honest about that can be such a freeing thing that it can actually lead to a production of a friendship. It was the production of emotions from seeing your "little girl" appear on stage looking not so much like a little girl at all (her Daddy may have shed a tear or two each time she appeared on stage.)
And mostly it was the production of so many sweet friendships of these young people who were encouraging each other, praying with each other and genuinely cheering each other on. It was a beautiful production on and off the stage!!
What an absolute blast to watch you shine on stage and off!!


No comments:
Post a Comment