Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Truth Of Our School Days

 At the beginning of each school year I hold in my mind an idea of what the year will look like.  To be honest, each projected vision is heavy loaded with mental pictures that match up to these...

and this.  (Even if it is 2:00 in the afternoon in pajamas ;)
We do have a lot of days where that is the case.  
However, these are the most exciting times for the girls...
 when we actually do the projects and experiments...
like melting chocolate by directing the sunlight with magnifying glasses,

 or our "to scale" solar system that now hangs above us as we learn astronomy,

or the thrill of making our own compass which turns into a presentation for CC.  
The truth is this is one of my weakest points.  Many times I will skip over the experiment part to make sure we get all the "boxes" of our day marked off.  This year we are making an effort to stop and observe, soak it in, not just check it off.  OH is that hard for me, but worth it every time we actually slow down and take time.
As much as I hate to admit it many of our homeschool days are actually "car school days" as we travel to piano and violin lessons, doctor appointments or shot schedules.  I have found such sweet moments as the girls work through problems and help each other when struggles come up and I just can't stop in the middle of the road to help with a word they may be struggling to read or a math problem that has them tangled up.  To hear them help out and explain their sister through the struggle lets me know they understand the how and why of what was previously taught to them and more importantly I get to see their heart care and calm a sister who is frustrated. 
The best moments by far are these...
when we are cuddled up reading whichever book they are working through.  These are the moments I find myself half following along word by word and with the other half I am wholeheartedly thanking God for these moments, the blessing of still holding them tight as we do this crazy thing whether it is homeschooling or car schooling, I'll take it no matter what we call it!!

2 comments: