Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dominoes


 Sunday morning, March 24, 2013, I was sitting in Cali, Columbia, South America eating breakfast as Sam Ingrassia began the morning devotions.  The reality of where I was and why I was there was beginning to sink in. 
Sam began speaking about sowing seeds and how many times we never see the effects that could be immediate or years down the road.  He was speaking of the dominoes that we may cause to "spill over" into others lives as we walked through the week ahead sharing the gospel of His great love. 
 I glanced around the tables lined with folks I would be on this journey with, many had been here before, a few others were as new to this as I was.  Three faces stood out to me.  I was hearing Sam speak about the week ahead, but all I could think of were the dominoes that tipped into our lives several years ago. 
 These three gentlemen in particular were the "dominoes" who directly brought me to this point and place, this opportunity to step fully into God's story with both feet, all my heart and honestly a touch good bit of fear.
 Several years ago, around 2006 give or take a year, Mark attended "Refresh" (a time of praise and worship) at our church.  These men, who Mark had known from an early Thursday morning Bible study, spoke passionately about mission trips they had been on and the group they had partnered with (now e3 partners.) 
 When the meeting was over Mark spoke with them about joining them on a trip.  As is Mark's style, the very next day he was signed up for the next journey to Barranquilla, Columbia. When Mark came back from that trip there no denying he had changed somehow.   His passion for missions was clear now and to be honest that made me a little nervous.  When he got home there was much I didn't understand about his week.  He told me story after story about the people on the team from all over the US, the translators and the Columbians.  I really couldn't understand how you could bond with people so quickly and why you would want to go back when you come home so sick.  Not only did he want to go back, he wanted me to go with him.  That was just silly to me, I had two very young girls at home to think about I just could not go or even entertain the thought.
Well each year since then Mark has gone to Barranquilla.  Some years it has been harder to be completely ok with him going.  But every year when he returned home I would be so glad he went.  He continued to return changed a little more each time.  He loved God more, he saw folks differently, and his desire for me to go with him grew more each year.
To be honest, when I found out I was expecting our third baby in 2007 one of my first thoughts was, "Well that just bought me a few more years before I have to go on a mission trip with him."  Little did we know that sweet baby would make it years and years before we would have the opportunity to go together.
A few times we have planned it all out, even banked the money but God clearly changed our plans.  This past November Mark returned from his annual trip on November 3. November 4th on the way to church he looked at me and said,  "OK, pick a trip.  In 2013 I want us to go on a mission trip together."  I can honestly say I was excited.  It had to be a God thing because a heart doesn't change on its own like that.
We picked a date, signed up, made the deposit and began to pray (and asked several others to join us in praying.) We knew there would be some struggles as the trip became a sealed deal.  Those struggles became real pretty quickly.
Within a few weeks of our final decision to go we were having a normal Friday around here.  Haleigh wasn't feeling great, but wanted to finish school before she took a nap to see if that would help her feel better.  As she sat beside me at the piano bench she went limp as a rag and then had a seizure.  Really?! Now?!
To say I was unraveled would be an understatement.  As I walked into church the following Sunday one of those "domino gentlemen" pictured above greeted me with a huge smile and asked if I was excited for our trip.  I immediately began to cry and told him what had happened.  This man is a grandpa, one of the most caring men you'll meet, he was supposed to say something like, "Oh, you clearly have to stay with her.  Don't worry about the trip."
Do you know what this man said?  "You know its God will for you to go, it has been for a while.  There's a good bit of time before we go, she'll be fine."
Are you kidding me!!
His words were echoed by many who walked this with us.  I am so thankful they did!  We knew all the bases were covered here with the girls.  Haleigh had some testing done and was given the all clear.  Mom switched plans and was coming here just in case something happened while we were gone.  Good friends were just a call away ready to step in and help at a moments notice.  The next thing I knew it was the week before the trip, time to pack.  Mark did most of the shopping and packing of all the supplies we needed.  I just added my clothes to the suitcase.  I met my dad to bring my mom here and gave her all the needed instructions, schedules, menus and routes to different lessons and stores.  Then we were off.
Those dominoes had tipped over into Mark's life several years ago and now my domino was going down too...

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful God filled Blessing for all of us . What a Blessing to hear about the trip and see the sparkle in your eyes as you talked about the work GOD has done in Cali and in your hearts. What a blessing to be with those precious little ladies while you were being Blessed too.
    Thank you, Mom

    ReplyDelete