It seems I just found shelf space for the great finds of last year's homeschool convention, yet it's already time to enter the great convention hall again.
This year will be a bit different...
The first year the convention was held in Greenville my oldest sister joined me for a weekend that was unbeatable. (I just read the wrap up post after that great weekend and I may be a bit teary.) A flood of great information, eye opening inspiration, an overwhelming display of homeschooling materials that all seem like a must have.... above all it was a sweet time together learning, being refreshed and laughing a lot!
The second year was fantastic also. The number of attendees in our "shuttle" to the convention grew a bit. My middle sister, having one year of homeschooling under her belt, joined us to complete our "sister act," we also had my precious niece and nephew along to soak it all in. It was a blast watching these young minds excited about different sessions available to them, seeing them genuinely excited to meet certain speakers who have impacted their learning over the years. The laughs and fun increased just as our numbers had.
This year, I'm just not sure what will happen as this grew are the ones in the "shuttle" with me as I embark on the great hall. I am positive there will be a huge void of tender sister moments (of my generation at least) and oh will I miss my nephew and niece (did I mention they are super special and the fun they added was over the top?) Both of my sisters have calendars too full this month to make the trip. Our calendar is pushing the limits also so Mark is unable to take time off to have special fun with the girls and allow my hands and brain to be completely kids free. However, I am still excited for what will be. My girls have heard me talk about all the fascinating folks I have had the pleasure of meeting at the conventions. Many of these folks are "in our home" almost daily via DVD, audio books or downloaded to bring us solid curriculum at the push of a button. It is funny how you feel as if you know these people personally.
Take this man for example, before last year's convention he was nicknamed "Mr. Math" in our home. He is the Math U See instructor who has entered our home for the past six years, now he visits up to three times in any given day. After speaking with him at the convention and attending a few of his speaking session it is hard for me to refer to him as "Mr. Math" anymore because I have found he is so much more than just math. His speaking sessions were not even on the subject of math, come to think of it I'm pretty sure he didn't even mention his curriculum in his sessions at all. His heart and much greater ministry is geared toward building up the family. Such encouragement of the importance of family and focusing on God while not getting lost in all the "stuff." OK, I could go on and on but to wrap it up, the chance to see the hearts of these folks makes this journey even more of a thrill.
This year my girls get to experience that. They are looking forward to meeting Mr. Demme (Math U See,) Linda Hobar (Mystery of History,) Andrew Pudewa (IEW and much more,) Monica Irvine (The Etiquette Factory).... oh the list goes on and on.
So the shuffle between babysitters, juggling my girls during the speaking sessions, watching them meet many folks they feel like they already know, asking their opinion of books and activities for next year's learning adventure... it will look much different then the past two years but it will be exciting. So here we go...
Gretchen, Becky, Cole and Meg,
I am already missing you greatly and this convention hasn't even started yet. Pencil us in for next year, please!! Love you all and I'll be messaging you a lot!


No comments:
Post a Comment