Each summer I would spend at least a week (three if I could talk Mom and Dad into it) at my Grandma's house. The most pleasant place on earth. The smells of the country (mostly the country cooking :) as I would wake up much later than normal. Helping out was always a treat at Grandma's. One of my favorite things to do was help in the garden. I think it was just knowing I had some small (very very small) part in what would end up on that round table, with a lit candle smack in the middle, place mats with utensils in just the right place, and a full country dinner with the freshest vegetables possible right at 5:00.
One of my favorite garden treasures was not at the top of everyone's list. Many in my family feel it is a waste of good dirt to plant this delicious jewel. That's ok, it just left more for me :)
So this evening that's what I had for dinner, beets.
They are simple, cook 'em, add butter and salt and you are set.
Not nearly as fresh as the ones pulled from the earth 3 minutes before they were cooking in the pot. But, good enough to take me back several years to "visit the farm, stroll in the garden, and be right back at the table where I spent so many summer evenings." I almost had to break out the graham crackers, peanut butter, and honey for a little dessert but I haven't found anyone who is as much fun to enjoy that sticky mess with then Grandma (maybe next time I make it back home ;)
You make it so "smellable". Would love to join you for that treasured trip "back" but only for a short visit. I would surly miss my precious 9 little grandones that are here and now. Thankfully & Tearfully, MOM
ReplyDeleteAcckkkkkkk. Ptouy. Argggggghhhhhhhh!!!! Forget the beets, you did know about the unending bowl of ice cream at Grandma's house???
ReplyDelete